Buleleng Regency


 

Gitgit Waterfall

Capital : Singaraja
Location : North & North Western Bali
Important Phone Numbers :
Direct Inquiries : 0362 22108
Buleleng Tourist Office Address : Jl. Veteran No. 23
Phone : 0363 61141

Buleleng Regency was founded as a kingdom by Gusti Panji Sakti, who ruled c. 1660-c. 1700. He is commemorated as a heroic ancestor-figure who expanded the power of Buleleng to Blambangan on East Java. The kingdom was weakened during his successors, and fell under the suzerainty of the neighboring Karangasem kingdom in the second half of the eighteenth century. It wa8 and 18s headed by an autonomous branch of the Karangasem Dynasty in 1806-1849. The Dutch colonial power attacked Buleleng in 1846, 18449, and defeated it on the last occasion. Buleleng was incorporated in the Dutch colonial system and lost its autonomy in 1882.

In 1929 a descendant of Gusti Panji Sakti, the renowned scholar Gusti Putu Jelantik, was appointed regent by the Dutch. He died during the Japanese occupation of Indonesia. His son and successor was the well-known novelist Anak Agung Nyoman Panji Tisna (r. 1944-1948). In 1949-50 Buleleng, like the rest of Bali, was incorporated in the unitary republic of Indonesia. Singaraja is the regency seat of Buleleng. The name is Indonesian for ‘Lion King’. It is on the north coast just east of Lovina. Singaraja was the Dutch colonial administrative centre for Bali and the Lesser Sunda Islands until 1953, and the port of arrival for most visitors until development of the Bukit Peninsula area in the south.

North Bali area mostly is decided under the government of Buleleng Regency. Then this is the widest regency in Bali. Buleleng keeps a role in the past when Bali was conquered by Commander Gajah Mada in his Palapa expedition. Basically, the heritage of Buleleng cultural variation has a different unique style than the one in the south. Geographic Regency of Singaraja covers .365, 88 Km2 : kilometers total of land, Regency of Buleleng consists of 9 Sub district namely: Gerokgak, Seririt, Busung Biu, Banjar, Buleleng, Sukasada, Sawan, Kubutambahan, Tejakula.

Covering 146 village/administrative village and 163 traditional village with width about 1,365.88 km² (24.25% from wide of Bali Island). Having tropical climate influenced by monsoon and rains of during the month of October until April. Circumstance of Topography of Regency of Buleleng most representing hilly area unfolding in South arch share, while in regional upstate of regency of long Buleleng from West to East coastally is which is long enough (144 Km). This sprawling, 1,370-square-km regency offers mountain hikes, rustic villages, waterfalls, hot springs, untouched marine and forest reserves, silversmiths, beach resorts of glistening black sand, a secluded coastline bordering a placid sea, and distinctive temples seething with baroque carved figures.

The south end stretches across the foothills of Bali’s central volcanoes while the whole north’s coastal plain faces the Java Sea . This largest of Bali regencies touches all but one of the island’s other regencies. The capital, Singaraja, has a cosmopolitan air with many ethnic and religious minorities existing in harmony.Because of Buleleng’s geographic isolation from the densely populated south, it has developed distinct cultural differences in architecture, dance, and art. The district was absent from early maps of Bali-Cornelius de Hauptman’s 1597 map of the island showed only the land south of the central east-west mountain range.

Today the fleets of tour buses seldom venture over the mountain passes, and consequently there are fewer beggars, touts, and professional hassles plaguing the region. In the mid-1800s the European maritime powers established their presence on Bali here. Buleleng women were ordered to adopt the Kebaya (Malay blouse) by the Dutch commandant “to protect the morals of the Dutch soldiers”; previously, the Kebaya had served as a badge of prostitution. From 1854, until the international airport opened at Tuban in 1962 Buleleng had much greater contact with the outside world than the south.

Singaraja was the administrative center for the whole of Nusatenggara from Indonesian independence until 1958. Singaraja, 65 kilometers from Denpasar, is a port of town. The Gedong Kirtya, is a library in Singaraja which keeps ancients texts written on lontar pal leaves. In former days the building serves as the office of the Dutch governor of Bali . The Pojok Batu temple stands on the rocky shore of the Tejakula district, 25 kilometers north of Singaraja. The temple was built by Dang Hyang Nirartha in 989 AD, when King Udayana was consolidating the Hindhu faiths in Bali . The building is made of stone. Two ancients statues, those of Catur Buja and Nandini are kept in the temple.

Panji temple in Panji village, seven kilometers from Singaraja. The temple is known for the Goaka-goakan and Sapi Grudugan ceremonies that are hel here. The Beji sangsit temple is in Sangsit village, one kilometers from Panji. It was built in the 15 th century and is a Subak (water) temple. It is covered with carved ornaments in north-Balinese style. The Git-git Resthouse is nine kilometers from Singaraja. It is located in the hills amidst rice fields. From here, one can look down on the plains and the sea. Ships docked at Buleleng harbour are clearly visible. Not far away from Singaraja is Lovina Beach , at kalibukbuk village, 12 kilometers west of Singaraja.

The name of Lovina is derived from a small lodging House in the area. Bamboo cottage rest in the shade of coconut trees. Paddies and field are all around . The sea here is shallow and calm. Lying aside this long beach are several villages , facing the road towards Gilimanuk. Approximately 13 kilometers to the west of Singaraja, is Singsing waterfall, 100 meter high. There is also hot-water pool at Banjar village, surrounded by greenery. Wanara Buka lies at the side of lake tamblingan in the hill behind Singaraja. Asah Gobleg lies between Lake Tamblingan and Lake Buyan , in the green hills. It is a popular holiday resort. Buleleng harbour lies on the northern coast of Bali.

This is where the first Dutch soldiers landed to subdue the island’s stubborn rulers in the bloody Puputan wars. Today, many people go fishing along the harbor. Approximately 26 kilometers to the west of Singaraja, is celukan bawang harbor. Coconut groves line h shore, landing beauty as well as coolness to the surroundings. Tanjung Alam beach , more to the west , has clean black sand suitable for watersport. Pulaki temple is about 50 kilometers toward to the west part of singaraja. The temples lies on the slope of a mountain, facing the sea. The reliefs are simpler than those found on the temple in the southern part of the island.

According to popular belief ,the god, Dang Hyang Nirartha descended at this place to spread the Hindu faith in Bali. Monkeys in the surroundings are considered sacred by the people. Pemuteran temple is part of this complex. There is a hot-water spring in its yard. There is another hot-spring in Banyuwedang surrounding where the scenery is very beautiful. Menjangan Island lies near the western tip of Bali, near Celukan, terima Bay . The waters around the island are excellent for skin-diving. It sea gardens are beautiful and filled with corals and decorative fishes. It can be reached by small motorized wooden boat. Terima bay , lies 76 kilometers west of Singaraja city, and it quiet and idyllic. The grave of Jaya Prana, a famous legendary figure, is also found here.

General Information

Geographic Regency of Singaraja covers .365, 88 Km2 : kilometers total of land, Regency of Buleleng consists of 9 Sub district namely: Gerokgak, Seririt, Busung Biu, Banjar, Buleleng, Sukasada, Sawan, Kubutambahan,Tejakula. Covering 146 village/administrative village and 163 traditional village with width about 1,365.88 km² (24.25% from wide of Bali Island). Having tropical climate influenced by monsoon and rains of during the month of October until April. Circumstance of Topography of Regency of Buleleng most representing hilly area unfolding in South arch share, while in regional upstate of regency of long Buleleng from West to East coastally is which is long enough (144 Km).

This sprawling, 1,370-square-km regency offers mountain hikes, rustic villages, waterfalls, hot springs, untouched marine and forest reserves, silversmiths, beach resorts of glistening black sand, a secluded coastline bordering a placid sea, and distinctive temples seething with baroque carved figures. The south end stretches across the foothills of Bali’s central volcanoes while the whole north’s coastal plain faces the Java Sea . This largest of Bali regencies touches all but one of the island’s other regencies. The capital, Singaraja, has a cosmopolitan air with many ethnic and religious minorities existing in harmony. Because of Buleleng’s geographic isolation from the densely populated south, it has developed distinct cultural differences in architecture, dance, and art.

The district was absent from early maps of Bali-Cornelius de Hauptman’s 1597 map of the island showed only the land south of the central east-west mountain range. Today the fleets of tour buses seldom venture over the mountain passes, and consequently there are fewer beggars, touts, and professional hassles plaguing the region. In the mid-1800s the European maritime powers established their presence on Bali here. Buleleng women were ordered to adopt the Kebaya (Malay blouse) by the Dutch commandant “to protect the morals of the Dutch soldiers”; previously, the Kebaya had served as a badge of prostitution. From 1854, until the international airport opened at Tuban in 1962 Buleleng had much greater contact with the outside world than the south. Singaraja was the administrative center for the whole of Nusatenggara from Indonesian independence until 1958.

Overview

Singaraja, 65 kilometers from Denpasar, is a port of town. The Gedong Kirtya, is a library in Singaraja which keeps ancients texts written on lontar pal leaves. In former days the building serves as the office of the Dutch governor of Bali . The Pojok Batu temple stands on the rocky shore of the Tejakula district, 25 kilometers north of Singaraja. The temple was built by Dang Hyang Nirartha in 989 AD, when King Udayana was consolidating the Hindhu faiths in Bali . The building is made of stone. Two ancients statues, those of Catur Buja and Nandini are kept in the temple . Panji temple in Panji village, seven kilometers from Singaraja. The temple is known for the Goaka-goakan and Sapi Grudugan ceremonies that are hel here.

The Beji sangsit temple is in Sangsit village, one kilometers from Panji. It was built in the 15 th century and is a Subak (water) temple. It is covered with carved ornaments in north-Balinese style. The Git-git Resthouse is nine kilometers from Singaraja. It is located in the hills amidst rice fields. From here, one can look down on the plains and the sea. Ships docked at Buleleng harbour are clearly visible. Not far away from Singaraja is Lovina Beach , at kalibukbuk village, 12 kilometers west of Singaraja. The name of Lovina is derived from a small lodging House in the area. Bamboo cottage rest in the shade of coconut trees. Paddies and field are all around . The sea here is shallow and calm.  Lying aside this long beach are several villages , facing the road towards Gilimanuk.

Approximately 13 kilometers to the west of Singaraja, is Singsing waterfall, 100 meter high. There is also hot-water pool at Banjar village, surrounded by greenery. Wanara Buka lies at the side of lake tamblingan in the hill behind Singaraja. Asah Gobleg lies between Lake Tamblingan and Lake Buyan , in the green hills. It is a popular holiday resort. Buleleng harbour lies on the northern coast of Bali . This is where the first Dutch soldiers landed to subdue the island’s stubborn rulers in the bloody Puputan wars. Today, many people go fishing along the harbor. Approximately 26 kilometers to the west of Singaraja, is celukan bawang harbor. Coconut groves line h shore, landing beauty as well as coolness to the surroundings.

Tanjung Alam beach , more to the west , has clean black sand suitable for watersport. Pulaki temple is about 50 kilometers toward to the west part of singaraja. The temples lies on the slope of a mountain, facing the sea. The reliefs are simpler than those found on the temple in the southern part of the island. According to popular belief ,the god, Dang Hyang Nirartha descended at this place to spread the Hindu faith in Bali . Monkeys in the surroundings are considered sacred by the people. Pemuteran temple is part of this complex. There is a hot-water spring in its yard. There is another hot-spring in Banyuwedang surrounding where the scenery is very beautiful. Menjangan Island lies near the western tip of Bali, near Celukan, terima Bay.

The waters around the island are excellent for skin-diving. It sea gardens are beautiful and filled with corals and decorative fishes. It can be reached by small motorized wooden boat. Terima bay , lies 76 kilometers west of Singaraja city, and it quiet and idyllic. The grave of Jaya Prana, a famous legendary figure, is also found here.

(roll over or click the area to get detail information)

 

Place of Interest in Buleleng Regency :

 

Singaraja Town Map
(click Image to Enlarge)

 

Singaraja Map

 

↑ Back to Top

 

Related Posts

Denpasar Regency

2011-11-09 23:27:50
baliorange

18

Tabanan Regency

2011-09-23 23:18:19
baliorange

18

Klungkung Regency

2011-09-23 23:15:42
baliorange

18

Karangasem Regency

2011-09-23 23:13:05
baliorange

18

Jembrana Regency

2011-09-23 23:09:07
baliorange

18

Gianyar Regency

2011-09-23 22:58:56
baliorange

18

Bangli Regency

2011-09-23 22:43:07
baliorange

18

Badung Regency

2011-09-22 22:52:35
baliorange

18

GILI FAST BOAT BOOKING

2014-12-12 21:10:30
baliorange

8

BALI VIDEO

2014-10-22 12:12:54
baliorange

8