Batur Lake is the largest lake in Bali and the region is home to a beautiful sight on the island, in fact one of the best in Indonesia. The lake Batur in Bali compounds a lot of fish farming and the air is redolent with the smell of the onions, the chilies and the cabbage of garlic growing. Some interesting village around that you can easily get by small trees.
This lake known as the widest and largest lake in this island, lies down in the feet of Mount Batur, with a length of 8 km and width of 3 km. It sits inside the massive 13 km long caldera (crater). Lake Batur lies 500m below the crater rim.
Located less than an hour from north Bangli. Villages that circle the lake are called ‘Bintang Danu’ which means ’Stars Of the Lake’. This lake is sacred for the Balinese, with the goddess of the lakes, Ida Batara Dewi Ulun Danu. The winding road drops and gives some nice views of the lake and the surrounding areas. It seems surreal, at first, to be inside a massive volcanic crater, next to freshwater lake and seeing people farming crops at the edge.
Good place to visit when you are need a bit chill environment.
What you can see around Batur Lake (Kintamani) :
1. Pura Ulun Danau Batur, one of the most important temples in Bali .The temple was rebuilt up on the caldera ridge in 1926 after an eruption of Mount Batur destroyed the old one down in the crater. There are a large number of shrines, but most visitors are drawn to the huge eleven roofed meru in the inner courtyard.
2. Mount Batur Volcanoes are the main attraction for visitors. Penelokan village provides spectacular views of this crater lake and Mount Batur, set in a vast volcanic caldera. Photo opportunities abound, but try to be there as early in the morning as you can manage before the cloud inevitably starts to gather.
3. Penglipuran Traditional Village, is a traditional village which has their own character, belong to the District Kubu – Sub-district Kubu and Bangli regency. The beauty of the village and the surrounding act that the Pengelipuran village is untouchable village by the modernization era.
4. Kehen Temple, this temple lies at the southern foot of bangle hill at the north east of the city of bangle. The temple is luxurious with a veranda facing to the south. It is located near Sasana Budaya Bangli, just few kilometers from the main city of Bangli.
5. Bali Aga Village at Trunyan on the eastern shore of the lake by boat from Kedisan. the key attraction is the cemetery. Ancient customs retained by the Bali Aga here include the open burial of dead bodies in a pit covered by just some light cloth .One of the best things about a visit to Trunyan is the views of Mount Batur from the eastern shore of the lake. This provides a very different perspective from the usual view from the crater rim.
The activities around Lake Batur (Kintamani) :
1. Climbing Mount Batur, a climb to the summit of Mount Batur – 1,717 meters and still an active volcano – to watch the sunrise is a great experience for more energetic travelers.